Thursday, April 3, 2008

Drawing Process

I got a new camera, so I should be playing with that but my muse (who is an angry bluebird, by the way) decided that I must draw now. So I figure I'll go with it, but as a compromise I'm taking photos of the drawing as I go along. If nothing else, I think it will be cool to have a record of how this thing evolves. It's not a complicated drawing. I'm still trying to build up a pet portfolio, so that's what you get. I make no excuses for the quality of the photos. I'm just to lazy to obsess over color-correcting and adjusting the in-progress photos. The final one will look good. The rest, well at least you can see what I'm doing, right?


Here's the initial drawing, done in compressed charcoal on colored paper. I tend to use charcoal very much like finger paint in the beginning stages. Also, the chamois is an essential tool.



Throw in some darks. It's starting to get a little more form.



The whole thing doesn't always go well from start to finish. This an example of it starting to go bad. Really bad.



Now the drawing is starting to get better. It's getting a little too tight though.



I loosened up the face a bit and started to add some white for the highlights. It's too soon for the white. It's really not working. Her head is a little big for her body too.



That's all for now! I'll add more to this post as I go along.

No comments: